Author Topic: Is it Ok to mix vegetable with fruits together when juicing?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline yukaric772

• Alumni
  • Yukari
Is it Ok to mix vegetable with fruits together when juicing?
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
My grandmother lived to 102 years of age and she died peacefully in her sleep. Part of the reason we believe she lived such a long and healthy life was because EVERYDAY at 3 pm for over 30 YEARS she juiced mainly organic greens to make 2 cups which she drank in one gulp. Afterwards, she would juice an apple or pear and drink it as a chaser, since the taste of green juice is pretty bitter.

Grandmother always told me NEVER to mix the green juice together with the juices of fruit. I think that it had something to do with the mixing of the chemicals or nutrients. Can anyone tell me if she was right and why?

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Is it Ok to mix vegetable with fruits together when juicing?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »
Sounds just like a TRADITION! But there may be some validity to it, albeit subtle. Why be worried about premixing juices if the will be mixed immediately in your gut?  Here is my two cents...

straight green juice is quite bitter and can be pretty nauseating, but there is a school of thought that its very important for one to taste the medicine (or food) for it to be effective. In the context of this bitter juice it could stimulate a beneficial biological cascade, such as hormone releases, pancreas/liver stimulation, etc... 

Another concern of hers is that fruit juice oxidizes quicker (or at least visibly) faster than veggie juices. So she may have been worried about the fruit juice speeding up the oxidation of her green juice. But I think this is not a huge issue, just the fact that one is consuming fresh juices is better than worrying about how oxidized it may become from the juicer to your mouth... Hence, her practice of swallowing the juice very fast. Juice would be best consumed more slowly to mix with your saliva and have an even greater effect on your biological cascade...but this would necessitate making the juice taste better so you would actually ENJOY consuming it....

I like to juice loads of veggies (I can get away with this technique, except with radishes) then blend with a little fat (nuts, avocado, coconut oil, etc...), lemon/lime and stevia. Fruit is just a filler and palate pleaser, its not necessary, and can increase the glycemic value. I like to balance sweetness with a few carrots, stevia and some berries. So practice balancing the flavors of your juices and you'll likely drink them more often and enjoy it!

The goal is fresh concentrated nutrients from veggies, so make it strong with them then add just enough sweetness to taste good

Add these ingredients judiciously to balance the strong flavors of greens and other veggies:

Parsley
Ginger
Fat (avocado, nuts, coconut oil, yogurt, kefir, etc...)
Stevia
Lemon/lime
Sea salt

Juice to the People!
Chef Jay
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

anything