Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Milk thistle and iron levels  (Read 1875 times)

Offline RamyaR

• Alumni
Milk thistle and iron levels
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

I know that Milk Thistle can work as a chelator of iron for someone with high ferritin levels but would a minimum dosage of 600 mg (in one capsule) interfere with iron absorption for someone with low-moderate iron levels, if taken for health maintenance over a long period of time? Also, is it best to supplement away from meals?

Thanks.

Ramya Ramakrishnan M.A., N.C.
Holistic Nutrition Consultant

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Re: Milk thistle and iron levels
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
It's not likely that a 600 mg. dose of milk thistle would compromise iron uptake. I would suggest taking it 5 days on, and 2 days off, for 3 months and observe the effects. If there are no adverse, affects, it can be continued. Clearly, there are other issues at play here, which you and their ND or functional MD would have to consider.
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline lisap748

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
What would be some of the symptoms to look for? I have been taking more than 600 mg of milk thistle a day for about 6 months now, but I don't know what my ferritin levels are and whether I am at risk for iron deficiency from milk thistle consumption. Or are there other things to watch out for with consistent milk thistle consumption?

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
I doubt very much if you are at risk for deficiency from milk thistle. The only way to really know if there is an iron deficiency of course  is to have a blood test done by your physician. It is always a good idea to take certain herbs or  supplements that may bind to specific  nutrients away from the meals that contain those specific nutrients.