Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Protein Deficient?  (Read 484 times)

Offline carriec979

• Alumni
Protein Deficient?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
I eat mostly a plant-based diet with very little animal products (one to two servings of dairy per week and fish usually once a week). I also exercise a lot. My current schedule includes yoga three times a week, softball twice a week, one personal training session per week (weights and circuit training), as well as hiking, biking and running. I use to eat chicken and veggies or cottage cheese and fruit after working out, as well as drink a shaker of protein powder with a scoop of L-glutamine. I didn't use to get sore after working out, but now my muscles ache somewhat regularly. I would prefer to avoid synthetic protein, but am worried I might be developing a deficiency. How do you know if you have a protein deficiency?

Offline JadaH

• Faculty
    • Jada Hughey, Holistic Health Coach
Re: Protein Deficient?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
I would recommend keeping a diet journal for a week and doing a calculation for the protein intake in your average week. You can also determine your protein needs by taking your body weight and dividing it by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms. Then take your weight in kilograms and divide by a number between .8 and 1.5 depending on activity; with .8 being a fairly sedentary lifestyle and 1.5 being an active lifestyle. After reading through your description of your routine and diet it would be my guess that you do need to increase the level of protein in your diet but using these tools can help you to determine this more accurately.

Jada K. Hughey, NC, RYT
Holistic Health Coach | www.jadahughey.com
BC Nutrition Faculty, Santa Cruz, Ca