Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: More on agave  (Read 1410 times)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
More on agave
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:00:12 AM »

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
Re: More on agave
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:05:28 AM »
wow, now we know the truth about Agave!  Parading around at night as tequila!  Who knew!
But, on the serious side,  I've heard that little bit about stevia playing a part in insulin resistance; something about just having the sweet flavor in your mouth causes an insulin release.  Any truth to this?  If so, what a bummer for people using it as an aid to overcome their sweet tooth.  So is complete abstinance from the sweet flavor the only answer?
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
I've written about that sweet flavor causing an insulin reaction. It's called 'cephalic response', where the brain has evolved to recognize actual sugars from foods but will react to anything sweet because it can't tell the difference. I've seen a little research but not specifically with stevia, so I don't know how true this is for that sweetener, or whether it's true for some people and not others.

As for agave, all this news about it is a little frightening, not because the news is so bad, but because it raises so many doubts and questions. I'm relatively certain that many of the agave products we educated consumers purchase are pure and are processed as indicated on the labels. But on the other hand, can we be certain? I suppose phone calls to the manufacturers can clear up a lot of the confusion. But this article also brings up the point that blue agave is in short supply, so environmental issues become part of the equation, too. So, do I want to contribute to an industry that's hell bent on eliminating this plant? But again, maybe there are responsible companies who are turning to farming agave and doing so sustainably.

For me, I don't eat a lot of sweetened foods and I've never gotten into the habit of using agave, so I'm just going to stick to my raw honey, a little dark maple syrup and soaked dried fruit for sweetening things. Those are my favorites. I also like molasses and purchased a bottle of organic molasses from a member of our co-op who'd bought a case. Turns out it's from Paraguay. Oops. I'll go through this quart (should take me about 10 years) and then try to find something more local.

In the meantime, where's that bottle of tequila? All this global food mess gets a girl thirsty. ;)

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
    • The Tao of Chow
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
Yea, you could put some agave on your acia berries and take a little trip down south to vist Mescalito and his cousin Tuscalito . . .  ever hear of them dudes, man?  I met them one time but don't remember much about it.  That old agave cacti gots all the bases covered don't it!  Do ya know what else comes from the same cactus?
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »
Y'all wouldn't be referrin' to mescal, now would ya?

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
    • The Tao of Chow
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »

;)
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  

Offline Lijahdia

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
Here is a link to an interview with Craig Gerbore, president of Madhava, a company that makes produces agave nectar. Whilst I do not advocate large amounts of concentrated sugars in the diet, it is worth reading as Gerbore explains the process they use and clarifies some possible misconceptions about the product.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025060_agave_nectar_sugar_sugars.html