Author Topic: Registered dietitian vs. nutrition consultant  (Read 29573 times)

Offline LoveLee11

Registered dietitian vs. nutrition consultant
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:13 AM »
Hi,

I've been contemplating a career as a registered dietitian, but have been intrigued by the nutrition consulting/natural cooking programs at Bauman. I really like the courses that are offered compared to the science based courses at a 4 year school for dietetics and working in a hospital (yuck!). Im trying to figure out with a typical job would be like as a registered dietitian compared to a nutrition consultant. My only concern is job security/salary if I go to Bauman, only cause it seems like most people have to start their own consulting businesses, and with a dietetics degree it seems easier to find a job with a steady income. I am also concerned with the states requirements for licensure. If I go to Bauman I'd like to find a job at a holisitic type company or health spa and have my own natural personal chef business on the side. Would it be beneficial to maybe go to a 2 year dietetics program to become a registered dietetics technician as well as the 2 programs at Bauman to guarantee a better job? Thanks for any input!
Angell
"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."- Lao Tzu

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
Re: Registered dietitian vs. nutrition consultant
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
Hello

Thank you for your question regarding the differences between a Certified Nutrition Consultant and a Registered Dietitian. I have posted  information relating to the different educational and career paths each may take. As stated below, the Bauman College curriculum is designed to give you a solid understanding of Holistic Nutrition. Short of a 4 year Naturopathic College, no other nutrition program can demonstrate the length, depth and breadth of commitment to academic excellence and practical application.
Be sure to contact me if you have any additional questions or want more information on the Bauman College curriculum.

Certified Holistic Nutrition Professional or Registered Dietitian?

As consumers with nutrition needs, prospective students, or students and graduates of nutrition, it is useful to understand the similarities and differences between Certified Nutrition Consultants, as trained by Bauman College, and the Registered Dietitian.  These distinctions demonstrate how each fits into the current and emerging health care system.

Bauman College Certified Nutrition Consultants receive training in a California State approved Vocational Program. A High School Diploma or equivalent is required for entry. Training incorporates a mixture of class lecture and discussions, demonstrations, research and homework, student presentations, hands-on experience, and audio/video presentations. Short of a 4 year Naturopathic College, no other nutrition program can demonstrate the length, depth and breadth of commitment to academic excellence and practical application. The Bauman College curriculum is on the cutting-edge of the emerging integration of conventional and holistic health care.

Nutrition Consultation Certification training provides students with a grounded approach to working with primary care providers to design diet and nutritional programs for persons with previously diagnosed injury or illness. Students learn how nutrition influences the intricate feedback between organs, glands, cells and gene expression. For each topic, appropriate research findings and metabolic assessments are introduced to enable students to be more targeted in educating clients on appropriate  therapeutic foods, herbs and nutrient support. Client interviews, research and comprehensive case study comprise the written work for each topic and final presentation.   

The Certified Nutrition Consultant is trained in the realm of clinical nutrition.  He/She is qualified to work in conjunction with other health care professionals, such as doctors, chiropractors, acupuncturists, physical therapists and counselors, as well as in private practice working one-on-one with individuals who have previously diagnosed conditions. Nutrition Consultants teach courses, lecture on nutrition topics, and write articles for publications.

Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board (HNCB)
Graduates of the Bauman College Nutrition Consultant Training Program are eligible to sit for the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board's (HNCB) Board Examination.  The HNCB is a division of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP).  NANP Professional Members who meet the board examination qualification criteria and successfully pass the Board Exam will earn the designation, “Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition”.  For more information visit www.holisticnutritionboard.org.

A Dietitian degree is earned by completing an ADA-Accredited Coordinated Program, which is a Bachelor's or Master's degree program that combines classroom and supervised practical experience
OR
completing an ADA-Bachelor's degree program which is a four year plan that fulfills the educational requirements for the application for a dietetic internship.

Registration Examination for Dietitians
After graduation, completion of an approved supervised practical experience, and passing the National Registration Exam, a graduate in dietetics becomes a “Registered Dietitian”.

The Registered Dietitian works in health care facilities, overseeing meal preparation and designing meal plans to accommodate special diets. They also manage food service operations. The Registered Dietitian may also  work in restaurant management, food distribution, public health environments and private practice. Registered Dietitians do not generally emphasize the use of natural, unprocessed foods, organic foods, herbal products, and nutritional supplements. Registered Dietitian's base their dietetic approach on the USDA New Food Pyramid.

Certified Nutrition Educators, Certified Nutrition Consultants and Registered Dietitians all have a role to play. Nutrition Educators and Nutrition Consultants are in demand in the private sector, working in private, clinical and community settings to create customized nutrition and wellness plans. Registered Dietitians are most often found in institutional settings, following prescribed diets and more general protocols for disease management. As  consumer demand for nutrition increases, both will be given expanded opportunities to work in public and private settings.  We are witnessing a renaissance of information and application on the use whole foods, herbs and well-researched dietary supplements for disease prevention and recovery. Bauman College Nutrition Educators and Consultants are uniquely qualified to share this essential information with the public.

Be Well,

Marsha McLaughlin
Bauman College: Holistic Nutrition & Culinary Arts
Supervisor of Admissions
800-987-7530
admissions@baumancollege.org

Offline LoveLee11

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
Wow thanks so much for your reply that was very helpful! I like how you said "Registered Dietitians do not generally emphasize the use of natural, unprocessed foods, organic foods, herbal products, and nutritional supplements. Registered Dietitian's base their dietetic approach on the USDA New Food Pyramid."  I definitely feel like I resonate more with the holistic nutrition approach more so than anything.

My next question is what is the job demand for this, and do people typically seek out "registered dietitians" opposed to holistic nutritionists? I want to know that after school I will be able to legally practice this and do well in it, or be able to find a job that doesn't require a "registered dietitian" and recognizes/welcomes the holistic nutrition.

I currently live in Rhode Island, but am willing to relocate (preferably somewhere warm) where I can practice this. Do you know what Florida's laws are? Also, do you know which areas of the US practice holistic health more than others?

Thanks,
Angell
"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."- Lao Tzu

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
So, in my experience/opinion, it is not as easy to practice in all states as it is in CA (legally, that is). Also MOST insurance plans in any state would only cover an RD for nutrition counseling. That especially holds true in FL, which only allows the following credentials to be practicing; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy690

Also, if you become a dietitian, you can certainly practice in a holistic way if you so choose and incorporate those ideas into your practice. In my experience, many organizations offering nutrition jobs want the RD credential. If you want to work in a spa, natural health store, or something along those lines, the NC credential should be helpful to you.

It really depends on exactly what you want to do when you graduate AND where you decide you want to live. An RD can practice legally in all 50 states in many capacities, holistic or not, and an NC cannot. Therefore, as far as taking insurance and establishing yourself as a community nutritionist looking for clients, you should look at the laws as they vary from state to state.

I think there was a discussion on this a while back and there is a really nice comprehensive list of laws in every state somewhere here on the Bauman forum if you want to do a search or ask around for it to be reposted.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

Offline LoveLee11

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Im wondering if I can do just as well and make just as much money as an RD in a state where I can legally practice holistic nutrition...

Offline tobyd022

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
Has anyone who first got certified as a nutrition consultant through B.C. been able to apply that curriculum credit towards a bachelor's or master's program at an accredited university, like Bastyr University?

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »
tdunn89,

No, Bastyr does not accept any of the classes from Bauman at the Master's level. I am attending the MS program there in the fall (woo-hoo!) and since they do not have the same type of accreditation, the classes from Bauman are not transferrable to Bastyr.
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef

Offline tobyd022

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:34:34 AM »
Alabama,

Did you do nutrition consultant program through Bauman College? If so, do you feel it is a beneficial place to start before potentially pursuing a higher degree from another university?
I have wanted to go to Bastyr for a while, but am currently unable to make the move to Washington and stumbled across the distance learning program at Bauman College that seemed like a good place to start in the meantime. I also currently do not have a bachelor's degree so would have to start from that level anyways and was mainly curious if they would even consider those credits as part of the general ed requirements to get into their bachelor's programs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »
Bauman College NC credits are transferable into the Master of Science in Nutrition or Bachelor of Health Science in Nutrition degree programs at Huntington College of Health Sciences (HCHS), an accredited distance learning institution in Knoxville, Tennessee.

In order to receive maximun transfer units with the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this, NC students may take a Matriculation Module available through Bauman College after completion of the Nutrition Consultant program.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
Hello

Things are changing all of the time in regards to State Licensure Laws in the United States.  I encourage everyone to keep their eyes on the National Health Freedom Coalition at nhfc.org.  As a national organization they are state by state turning over old legislation which has been on the books for many years and is outdated. The NHFC legislation states that people have a choice in health care and have the right to seek the services of holistic or complimentary practitioners.

Specifcally in regards to Alabama's post above referencing laws in the State of Florida:
On April 24, 2003, then Govenor Bush, signed a Proclamation regarding Complimentary or Alternative Health Care Therapies in the State of Florida.  In such, the State of Florida has recognized the benefit of complimentary or alternative health care therapies and encourages all CATH Practitioners to practice openly to promote the availability of their services.

I have attached a copy of this Proclamation to this post.  This is just one example of how laws are changing.  It is best to do your own research on the state you live.  Do not rely on old documents that the American Dietetic Association created.  They do not update any outdated information.

Feel free to contact me personally at anytime with any additional questions that you have regarding State Licensure Laws.  I always available to speak with you.

Be Well,

Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Supervisor
Bauman College
800-987-7530
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:39:43 AM by Marsha McLaughlin »

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:18:46 PM »
While I agree that it is good to not rely on any OLD information, my own personal choice stemmed from not wanting to wait around and hope that the laws will change in the favor of holistic nutrition or won't change away from it once I am practicing somewhere. I simply can't be at peace trying to base my entire career on hoping I'm allowed to practice where I live. It's too stressful for me personally.
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
@tdunn89,
 Yes, I LOVED Bauman! I thought it was a wonderful experience!!!!!  I did the chef program there. I know from experience though that they do not accept any courses from Bauman at Bastyr, so it just depends on what you want from it. I DO think it is a good place to start and get your feet wet, but also, if you want to consolidate your spending and Bastyr is a consideration in your future, just think through which programs will be best for you long term. I plan to combine the knowledge I gained from the Natural Chef program with my MS from Bastyr in a private practice setting.  Feel free to contact me if you have more questions!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef