Author Topic: Oxidized Fats Questions  (Read 2005 times)

Offline sarah james

• Alumni
Oxidized Fats Questions
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
We hear so much about how dangerous oxidized fats are, but I don't exactly understand what the chemical structure of an oxidized fat is.  I know that saturated fats cannot be oxidized and polyunsaturated fats are most easily oxidized.  Does an oxygen atom attach to the fat molecule in place of a hydrogen or a carbon double bond?  Also, what happens in the body when an oxidized fat is ingested?  How is it digested and what problems does it cause?

Please help me understand!  Thank you!

Offline Helayne Waldman

• Alumni
  • Co-author, Whole Food Guide for Breast Cancer
    • Turning-the-Tables
Re: Oxidized Fats Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:58:48 PM »
This can be a very confusing topic.  I suggest you open the Mary Enig text: Know Your Fats.  She talks about oxidation specifically on pages 25, 56, and 264. Michael Schmidt and Udo Erasmus are two other experts on fat who can explain the ins and outs much better than I!
Helayne Waldman, Ed.D., M.S.

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Oxidized Fats Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »
go to http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.00009.x?cookieSet=1 for detailed info on what happens to oils when they oxidize.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

anything