Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Dry nose, not a healthy nose?  (Read 14623 times)

Offline JaneA

• Alumni
Dry nose, not a healthy nose?
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
Hello,
With the heat on in my apartment my nose has become painfully dry! (I know, not a pleasant subject). I do however want to stress the point that it is PAINful.

I've found 2 products for this:

First one is called Ayr Saline nasal gel - this one contains lots of ingredients, including some parabens. It also says "for external use only". (I don't think I want to put this inside my nose where it hurts).

Second one is an un-petroleum jelly by Alba. Ingredients are natural - mostly oils, including hydrogenated castor oil. Is this safe for inside the nostrils? Is there reason for concern about the "hydrogenated" castor oil?

Last question - is it safe to use plain olive oil in my nose? I think I read somewhere that this is a safe option for a dry nose... but I can't recall where I read this.

Thanks,
Jane

Offline Greg

• Alumni
    • GilletteNutrition
Re: Dry nose, not a healthy nose?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »
I would just use plain organic olive oil or coconut oil. I have used both in my nose before and it is fine. You may want to increase your fat consumption to hydrate and moisturize the body. (flax oil, cod liver oil, coconut oil, raw butter, avocado)
"Be the change you want to see in the world!" Ghandi
Nutrition Educator - Bauman College
Herbal Consultant - New Mexico College of Natural Healing
www.gillettenutrition.com

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Dry nose, not a healthy nose?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:47:03 AM »
I thought I was the only one suffering from a dry and painful nose!

You are wise to consider those additives as something to be concerned about. If you wouldn't want those substances in your body, then why put them on your body? (they will get absorbed into your body thru your skin anyway)

Side note: recent reports say that its the chemicals in sun block that are causing
         skin cancer, more than peoples excessive exposure to the sun.

My nose is especially dry upon waking up in the morning. So I've developed a battle plan.

1. Before going to bed, lather the nostrils with oil. Any quality cooking oil will work. But I recommend and use my own blend. It contains coconut oil, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, bee's wax, lanolin, wheat germ oil, red algae extract. (use this on all your skin and hair, it does wonders!)

2. Upon rising, drink a glass of fresh lemon water, or a little raw apple cider vinegar (this gets your lymphatic system moving to clear out mucus, plus its great for cleansing and digestion). Then add about 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt to 3 oz warm water and flush out the nostrils. This takes some practice, but inhale a little of the salt water, let it drain down the back of your throat where you can hack it out, do this a few times until your nostrils are clear. Its not fun but it is very effective at clearing your nostrils of accumulated dried mucus and infectious microbes, while re-hydrating the mucus membranes and improving healing.

3. After the nostril cleans, lather you nostrils with aloe vera gel, and then with oil (or the healing oil blend)

Also address some of the causes of dry/painful nose. Which can be related to dehydration, and an activated immune system (check for infections, or candida)

To rehydrate and sooth the mucus membranes, make some ginger and liquorice root tea and sip it throughout the day.

....I'll send you my bill...;-)
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

anything