Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Healing Foods for muscle and tissue repair  (Read 9602 times)

Offline BobbieM

• Alumni
Healing Foods for muscle and tissue repair
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
I have a friend who is having total hip replacement in both hips, this is a rather invasive surgery affecting connective tissue, muscles, and skin.  He has dengenerative hip disease and there is not much left, so they have a lot of work to do. I have volunteered to take care of him in the evenings and make sure he has proper eating habits while he is in bed rehabing.  My guess it will be six weeks before they get him out of bed and get him into physical therapy.  Are there any specific foods I should make sure are in his diet while he is healing both in bed and during physical therapy?

Offline TrinaP

• Alumni
Re: Healing Foods for muscle and tissue repair
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »
I know you asked about healing foods specifically, but I would like to reccomend a couple herbs that work very well with healing tissue. The first is Gotu Kola, it has amazing results when it comes to repairing damaged tissue, muscle, skin and old scars. I would take it in tincture form, 3 droppersfull 3 times a day. I would also reccomend taking comfrey leaf, in the form of tea daily. Comfrey leaf has long history as an herb used to repair damaged tissue, heal skin wounds and as an aid in mending broken and fractured bones. Using these herbs together should help accelerate the healing process.

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:17:10 AM »
I recently did a lot of research reading and wrote an article about healing athletic injuries. While not specific to your friend's surgery situation, there's some very good information in it regarding antiinflammatory and tissue healing nutrients. You can check it out at:

http://www.baumancollege.org/pdfs/articles/EatingToWin.BCArticle.10-01-08.pdf

Offline eatbetter1

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
Like heals like! Make a big pot of bone broth!
Numerous cultures can claim stock as meat stock from bones offers minerals, protein and glutamine. Glutamine reduces carbohydrate and sugar cravings, as well as rebuilds muscle, tendon and the digestive lining. It improves the flavor of soups, cooked grains and other dishes. The best chefs make their own stock, similar to the one listed here. It takes a while to make, but requires very little attention.

3 whole fish or spines, including head and tail
White fish such as sole, turbot, rockfish or snapper are good choices.
OR three pounds of organic, kosher or hallal chicken- collected frozen bones from previous meals are acceptable. Chicken feet are especially good.
OR two pounds of organic, grass fed beef or lamb bones.

3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped1 bay leaf (optional)
Juice of 1 lemon
About 3 quarts of water, or enough to cover contents

Put bones, lemon juice, and herbs in a large stainless steel pot with enough water to cover. Put lid on pot, bring to a simmer and turn down low and let cook very low for 2-4 hours for fish, 8-12 hours for chicken. If you notice any scum rising to the top, remove it with a large spoon.
Use resulting stock immediately in a soup, or let it cool for an hour on the counter, pour into heavy glass jars, then move into the refrigerator. I used 20 oz glasses with red plastic caps from Crate and Barrel. Use broth within ten days or freeze jars.  Allow 2 of space for expansion of frozen liquid, otherwise jar may crack. I will leave jar on the counter for several hours or put it in tepid water to defrost.
Modified from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Offline Jackie Chatman

• Alumni
    • Eating for Wellness Nutrition and Fitness
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Hi Jodi

I was trying to access the article on the link above but it is not working!!! Is the article still available???

Jackie!!!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

anything