Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Action Need on HR 875 Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon  (Read 7973 times)

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
Action Need on HR 875 Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
I'm attaching this post from a Yahoo group, because I thought others might want to be informed about important legislation that may have a HUGE impact on organic farming practices...and even backyard gardens.  I'll be writing letters to my local/state politicians this weekend...

HR 875 The food police, criminalizing organic farming and the backyard gardener, and violation of the 10th amendment

Posted by LydiaScott on 03/06/09 03:36 AM

HR 875 http://thomas. loc.gov/cgi- bin/query/ F?c111:1: ./temp/~c1112RD9 bb:e11439:

This bill is sitting in committee and I am not sure when it is going to hit the floor. One thing I do know is that very few of the Representatives have read it. As usual they will vote on this based on what someone else is saying. Urge your members to read the legislation and ask for opposition to this devastating legislation. Devastating for everyday folks but great for factory farming ops like Monsanto, ADM, Sodexo and Tyson to name a few.

I have no doubt that this legislation was heavily influenced by lobbyists from huge food producers. This legislation is so broad based that technically someone with a little backyard garden could get fined and have their property seized. It will effect anyone who produces food even if they do not sell but only consume it. It will literally put all independent farmers and food producers out of business due to the huge amounts of money it will take to conform to factory farming methods. If people choose to farm without industry standards such as chemical pesticides and fertilizers they will be subject to a variety of harassment from this completely new agency that has never before existed. That's right, a whole new government agency is being created just to police food, for our own protection of course.

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, READ THIS LEGISLATION FOR YOURSELF. The more people who read this legislation the more insight we are going to get and be able to share. Post your observations and insights below. Urge your members to read this legislation and to oppose the passage of this legislation.

Pay special attention to

Section 3 which is the definitions portion of the bill-read in it's entirety.
section 103, 206 and 207- read in it's entirety.
Red flags I found and I am sure there are more........ ...

Legally binds state agriculture depts to enforcing federal guidelines effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than being food police for the federal dept.
Effectively criminalizes organic farming but doesn't actually use the word organic.
Effects anyone growing food even if they are not selling it but consuming it.
Effects anyone producing meat of any kind including wild game.
Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics which is bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation. Who do you think they are going to side with?
Section 206 defines what will be considered a food production facility and what will be enforced up all food production facilities. The wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and more.
Section 207 requires that the state's agriculture dept act as the food police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment.
There are many more but by the time I got this far in the legislation I was so alarmed that I wanted to bring someone's attention to it. (to the one person who reads my blog)
Didn't Stalin nationalize farming methods that enabled his administration to gain control over the food supply? Didn't Stalin use the food to control the people?

Last word...... Legislate religion and enforce gag orders on ministers on what can and can't be said in the pulpit, instituting regulations forcing people to rely solely on the government, control the money and the food. What is that called? It is on the tip of my tongue...... ....

I haven't read any of the Senate's version of the bill as I have been poring thru the House's version. Here is the link and I hope some of you can take a look and post your observations and insights below. One thing I am pretty sure of is that very few if any Senator's have actually read the legislation and when it comes up for a vote they will more than likely take someone else's word on how they should vote. The other thing I am pretty sure about is that the legislation was probably written by lobbyists and industry experts.

S 425 http://thomas. loc.gov/cgi- bin/bdquery/ z?d111:s425:

Things you can do

Contact your members at 202-224-3121 and ask them to oppose HR 875 and S 425. While you are at it ask them if they personally have read the legislation and what their position is? If they have not read the legislation ask them to read it and politely let them know that just because other representatives are not reading the legislation and voting on it does not mean they can do the same.
Get in touch with local farmers and food producers by attending a local farmers market and asking them how business is.
Attend a local WAPF meeting, this is a good start to learning about what is going on in farming and local & state initiatives . The website is http://www.westonap rice.org/ local chapters/ index.html
Check out the Farmers Legal Defense Fund at http://www.ftcldf. org/index. html
Find out who sits on your states agriculture and farming committee and contact them with your concerns.
Continue to contact your elected officials and let them know your position on legislation and why.
Get active at the local and state levels, this is the quickest way to initiate change.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:28:02 PM by Marlina E »

Offline JuliaR

Re: Action Need on Farm Bills
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
While I agree that this bill is vague in some of its terminology, I believe that the overall goal of this bill will do the everyday consumer a great amount of good service.

Some highlights in the bill that I believe will benefit us all:

-Under the US Dept of Health and Human Services, the Food Safety Administration (FSA) will be created.  The FSA will be comprised of what (once this bill is passed) used to be the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of the Food and Drug Administration;the Center for Veterinary Medicine of the Food and Drug Administration; the National Center for Toxicological Research of the Food and Drug Administration. ** By combining current offices the government can better policy current issues and events.

-With this program, there will be Nationwide food inspection standards placed on all food inspection facilities, farms (this is where KristinC found controversy), food establishments, etc.

-The development of public education and advisory programs.

-The bill also would provide technical assistance to farmers and food establishments that are small business concerns to assist with compliance with the requirements of this Act.

**My bullets are in no way comprehensive of the benefits of this proposed bill, and I would suggest reading the CRS summary and form your own opinions.

**Also, I agree with KristinC, please call you Congressman and Senators and just ask what their opinion is on this bill.  If they do not have one, you will force them to research it further and make them have a truly educated opinion at voting time.

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »
Further thoughts from a friend of mine:

"Basically, the opponents have argued that the bill, introduced by a congresswoman from Connecticut whose husband is a paid consultant to Monsanto,  will introduce an inspection regime so extreme only multinationals will be able to conform to it.  Those alarmed by the bill insist it constitutes an existential threat to family farms, organic farming, and farmers markets.  I have read that HR 875 mandates the registration of all farm land, and the warrantless inspection of all farms by federal inspectors.  Failure to register land or allow access to inspectors would result in draconian fines."

I have NEVER seen Monsanto promote anything that was in the best interest of small farmers...and certainly not organic farmers.  That the bill was introduced by the spouse of a Monsanto employee is complete conflict of interest...

Offline Tim Frederick

• Alumni
    • Natural Chef Meals
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
In addition, they would like to add RFID chips to all meat, poultry, and even fish.  Next thing you know it, it will be mandatory for humans to be microchiped and you know that their will be people willing to accept it as long as they are given a free IPOD or other gizmo.

Not to be doom and gloom, but the government does not care about the people.
As long as they can keep adding their earmarks to bills, what is their motivation for CHANGE.

Extreme selfishness has always been the problem and it will continue to be until more people see the light.

Universal Love,
Tim
Anti GMO Activist, Artisan Gluten-Free Chef.

Offline JuliaR

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
KristinC- Thanks for posting your friend's reply.  I appreciate her diligence on this topic.  I am shocked (not really) to know that the member's husband is a Monsanto consultant.

On another note, I'm living in DC and last night I went to the movie premier for The World According to Monsanto.  This documentary is part of the Environmental Film Fest that is a yearly festival in DC.  The premier was held at the Carnegie Institute and the theater quickly turned into standing room only.  It was a bit long, coming in at 2 hours, but the education value was tremendous.  The director, Ms. Marie-Monique Robin did an unbelievable job at investigative reporting, and uncovering such controversial issues.  I am not sure where this movie will be shown next, or even when it will be shown next, but I suggest that everyone takes the time to see it!

Offline synergy

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
KristenC., Thanks for posting this. Additional points from a researcher's website:

" Pay special attention to:

* Section 3 which is the definitions portion of the bill-read in its entirety.
* section 103, 206 and 207- read in its entirety.
What it Does:

* Legally binds state agriculture departments to enforce federal guidelines effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than being food police for the federal government.
* Effectively criminalizes organic farming, but doesn’t actually use the word 'organic.'
* Affects anyone growing food, even if they are not selling it but consuming it.
* Affects anyone producing meat of any kind including wild game.
* Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics, which is bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
* Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation. Who do you think they are going to side with?
* Section 206 defines what will be considered a 'food production facility' and what will be enforced upon all food production facilities. The wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and more.
* Section 207 requires that the state’s Agriculture department act as the food police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment."

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Action Need on Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
Things you can do

1. Contact your members at 202-224-3121 and ask them to oppose HR 875 and S 425.  While you are at it ask them if they personally have read the legislation and what their position is? If they have not read the legislation ask them to read it and politely let them know that just because other representitives are not reading the legislation and voting on it does not mean they can do the same. 
   2. Get in touch with local farmers and food producers by attending a local farmers market and asking them how business is. 
   3. Attend a local WAPF meeting, this is a good start to learning about what is going on in farming and local & state initiatives .  The website is http://www.westonaprice.org/localchapters/index.html
   4. Check out the Farmers Legal Defense Fund at http://www.ftcldf.org/index.html
   5. Find out who sits on your states agriculture and farming committee and contact them with your concerns.
   6. Continue to contact your elected officials and let them know your position on legislation and why.
   7. Get active at the local and state levels, this is the quickest way to initiate change.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Lijahdia

• Alumni
Re: Action Need on HR 875 Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
The Natural Solutions Network have prepared a petition regarding this issue  'To Amend the Food Safety Modernization Act'. The petition will be sent to President Obama and members of congress.

You can add your voice here.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/568/t/1128/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=26714

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »
And now HR 759 is entering the scene with continued threats to small and organic farmers...and NAIS is still out there...

In addition, Obama is trying to appoint Michael Taylor (Monstanto lawyer/advocate) as head of the Food Safety Commitee!!!!  Insanity!

As one critic writes:
"Those bills are Monsanto triumphing over “organic.”
It will be taking control over every farm in the country, eliminating as many possible farmers in the process as they can, with Michael Taylor, their lawyer, running the whole thing from the White House."

We need to stay alert and have our voices heard!

Call the White House switchboard at 202-456-1414 and the comment center 202-456-1111. Let's keep those phones ringing!

Offline RheaB

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
Thanks KristinC for posting this important and crucial bill.  Yes, I just read the article from Natural Solutions Network that Obama is trying to appoint Michael Taylor(former Monsanto executive) who was put in charge of the FDA and approved rBGH into our children's milk when Bill Clinton was president.  Now, he might be BACK is very scary. 
Also, the fact that the bill was introduced by Rosa Delauro whose husband got rich from working for the Clintons and Monsanto is definitely a conflict of interest, as Kristin mentioned.  The majority of the public is unaware the the "food safety" bills using propaganda in distracting us in being entirely ignorant of the bills content, scope and impact on our freedom of food choice.  Growing our own food may even become a criminal act and charged a hefty fine if this bill is passed.
We need to get involved and wake up promptly to join farmers in killing the bill.  By not doing this we have betrayed the nation by allowing a bill that will turn our lives over to Monsanto!

Offline KarenL

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
Here are your far reaching "big" government types that are sponsoring this HR 875 bill.  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875  These are the people you need to engage and let them know what you are unhappy about.  Locally it is Barbara Lee involved in this one.  Our power is with our votes - someone voted them in and they are there to serve and represent the base from their area.  If they are no longer representing your beliefs it is important they hear form you.  The longer they hold office the more they can lose touch with the wishes of the people that they are there to serve and the more they fall prey to lobbyists and greed.  Always follow the money.  Many elected officials enter office with humble salaries and good intentions and leave office 30 years later multi-millionaires - how is that?
 ???

-karen

Offline MerrittJ

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Yikes!!  I read that the Monsanto Corporation (Agro-giant and GMO seed producer) is backing the bill, which would make sense since we all know that their main goal is not better farming, but bigger profit.  Does anybody know how the passing of this bill will effect GMO regulation?

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »
I encourage you to read all the different links that have been posted about this issue.  The recent Bauman College newsletter puts them all nicely in one place for easy access.
Since these bills (HR 759 is the most recent threat) could potentially threaten the life of all kinds of small, organic farms...that would put Monsanto's GMOs in an even better position.  Additionally, President Obama is trying to appoint Michael Taylor (Monsanto's man)  as head of the Food Safety Committee.  These two things in place could be very good news for GMOs and very bad news for organics.  I highly recommend you add your voice to these issues.  There are links on the Bauman College newsletter to do this.  Also, considering calling the White House to leave your comments on the potential appointment of Michael Taylor.

Offline kk4health

• Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
I have been looking for more information on the HR 875 Farm Bill.  Thank you!  I will be sharing this information for those who care!

KimA

Offline KarenL

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
I feel I need to share what I just found because it may be that the internet has enabled a runaway panic that may not all be truth based.  Here is a link to Rep Delauro's own web site where she address myth vs. fact about HR 875.  Now I wonder - who to believe.  I too, will read more closely and it sounds like she is even open to refinement in the wording of the bill so apparently it's not a done deal at this point. 
http://delauro.house.gov/
-karen