Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Gluten Free Backpacking food ideas  (Read 7516 times)

Offline ChristopherB

• Alumni
    • BeckerNutrition.com
Gluten Free Backpacking food ideas
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:16:41 AM »
I have a client that needs suggestions for gluten free ideas for a backpacking trip.  1 hot breakfast, 2 cold lunches, and one hot dinner.  He has a very small stove, probably limited fuel so minimal cooking time.  Any suggestions are appreciated. 
Chef Becker
M.S., C.N.E.

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
Re: Gluten Free Backpacking food ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:39:27 AM »
When I use to do alot of backpacking dehydrated soups worked well for breakfast.  You can find quality dehydrated soup ingredients in the bulk bins at most any natural foods store.
Whole grain rice cakes pack well and add needed carbs. An avacado works well at any meal as do apples.
For lunch raw nuts, dried berries, and beef jerky are easy to pack, light weight, nutritious, and tasty.  You could also throw in a bit of raw cheese; the hard grating cheeses pack well.
For dinner, any combo of the above and throw in a grain like millet or quinoa.  They cook quickly and pack well.  You can take a hard boiled egg along; canned sardines or salmon.
You don't say if he's going into bear country so you might want to avoid loud smelling fish if this is the case.  This should get ya started anyway.
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
I just put together another batch of bike-packing meals (same concept). We're touring through the desert, so need to carry both food and water for 4 dry camps. We carry only one pot, and we have what sounds like the same kind of stove your friend has.

For breakfasts, because our energy output is so high, and because the temperatures are cold, we've got a nutrient-dense cereal. I lightly toast thick rolled oats and mix them with chopped almonds, walnuts, ground flaxseeds, and a variety of dried fruits. We eat this cold, mixed with a scoop of Vital Scoop and a scoop of high quality whey protein powder. There's no reason this couldn't be cooked up hot.

Like Dixie, we like hard-boiled eggs. They're nutritious and pack very well. I eat them at any time of the day, but mostly for lunches. We also use a lot of canned salmon for lunches, but I agree with Dixie about taking that smelly stuff into bear country, especially grizzly country. We also use hard cheeses and loads of avocadoes at lunch. For "bread options", Mary's Gone Crackers are good. And tough. As are Nut Thins. Nut Thins doesn't have the best list of ingredients, but they're very tasty and have some protein.

Snacks:  Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's is very satisfying. Yeah, it's got some sugar in it, but when I'm working that hard, I just don't care. Lightly toasted or dehydrated almonds with raisins is a great snack, as are healthful bars. I like Nutiva's chocolate flaxseed bars, though I'm not big on sweets, and these are actually too sweet for me sometimes. Chocolate bars in general are good winter snacks. Not so great in warm weather. I also love cucumbers with cheddar cheese as a snack, or for lunch. We use raw cheddar, which really never molds.

Dinners: I just dehydrated some of our heritage turkey from Thanksgiving. Am adding in sun-dried tomatoes, dried porcini mushrooms, freeze-dried green beans (alas, not organic. Yuk), and dried goat's milk for a creamy sauce. I've rinsed and dried some quinoa to cook up with it. We carry garlic granules, salt, pepper, olive oil, and other herbs, so we can add to our dishes.

Frontier Natural Foods makes some great backpacking foods: Organic (yes, organic) powdered eggs; organic white cheddar powdered cheese; freeze-dried pinto and black beans. Freeze-dried vegetables can be purchased from www.beprepared.com. Not much organic, but it's for short term use. They DO have organic spinach flakes. Freeze-dried is much better than dehydrated for veggies and meats, but I don't use these meats because I don't eat conventionally produced animals. I use powdered goat's milk because it's much better quality than the dried instant cow's milk products that are available.

Other meal ideas: Frontier pinto beans, mixed w/powdered egg (extra protein), sun-dried tomatoes, dehydrated onion flakes, spinach flakes, white cheddar cheese sauce (powdered cheese, powdered goat's milk, olive oil, water, garlic, salt). This dish will also feature polenta.

White basmati rice, red lentils, spinach flakes, onions, chopped cashews, curry seasonings. Can add raisins if you want that chutney effect.

Can of salmon, freeze-dried asparagus, dried lemon peel, olive oil, garlic, over quinoa or white basmati.

One can eat very well even under extraordinary circumstances.

My favorite quotes when we're pushing these ridiculous loads:

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
    "Pain is just weakness leaving the body".

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
Major correction: Scott (husband) just got home with the trip groceries. TJ's jerky has soy sauce in it, the kind made with wheat. Jerky's easy to make at home, though.

Offline ChristopherB

• Alumni
    • BeckerNutrition.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »
Dixie and Jodi,  Thank you so much!  Great ideas... Will pass them on.
Chef Becker
M.S., C.N.E.

Offline LisaBa

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »
I make these raw gluten free bars for energy food, they are SO yummy!!! You can probably cut the recipe in half and have plenty. Last time I made them, the dough was a bit dry so I just added some water and it fixed the problem. Enjoy!

Raw Quinoa Breakfast Bars
Adapted from Jennifer Brewer
Servings: 20

Ingredients
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted                                                                 
1/2 cup date sugar, or raw cane sugar                                               
2 Tbs. agave   
3/4 cup shredded coconut                                                                   
1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
1/4 cup chopped raw almonds
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/2  cup prunes, chopped
1/4 cup freshly ground flax seed
3 tbs. unsweetened cocoa
1 1/3 cups gluten-free oats                                                                     
2 2/3 cups quinoa flakes                                                                       
1/2 cup dried cherries, blueberries or cranberries
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions
Lightly grease and line a baking pan with parchment paper.

In a food processor, add melted coconut oil through cocoa and blend until thoroughly mixed and gathering into a ball.

Place mixture in a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients.

Using clean hands, flatten dough in prepared pan, pressing down evenly to make a smooth surface. Refrigerate to harden. Once firm, cut dough into approximately 20 rectangles and transfer into an airtight container.