Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: What is the difference between pickled and fermented food?  (Read 5607 times)

Offline AnitaSte

• Alumni
Hi There!

I am just trying to figure out the difference between pickled and fermented food. I am confused.
Please someone help me:-)

thanks
Anita

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
Re: What is the difference between pickled and fermented food?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Fermented foods are fermented and don't contain vinegar yet taste "vinegary".
Pickled foods often have been preserved using vinegar, distilled vinegar, and so do not contain the enzymes that fermented foods do.
Your confusion is warranted as they both are often called by the same names, i.e. "Pickles" and "Sauerkraut", just for example.  Read the labels.  If it has vinegar as an ingredient it is not fermented.   Actually, the original term for fermented was pickled.  It has only been recently that old fashioned pickled products are referred to as fermented so as to make some distinction between the authentic naturally fermented pickles and the quicky vinegar pickles that are so common in grocery stores today.  The fermented products are usually found refrigerated so that the fermentation will slow or cease.  Sometimes the jar can explode under the right circumstances and the frementation process starts again and causes pressure in the jar.  Always be sure to read the label; if it has vinegar in it, it is not fermented. 
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline AnitaSte

• Alumni
Re: What is the difference between pickled and fermented food?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
Thank you Dixie for the fast answer. I appreciate it!

Anita

anything