forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Vegan Plantain Lasagna  (Read 169 times)

Offline letitiagoodjoint

• Student
Vegan Plantain Lasagna
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
I love being plant-based and exploring new recipes and spices.  One new recipe I tried/rather modified to make vegan was a plantain lasagna.  This dish is Puerto Rican and referred to as Pastelon in spanish.  Traditionally,  it combines beef, ripened plantains (instead of lasagna noodles), cheeses and spices, and can be topped with eggs.  Instead of beef I used black beans, instead of cheese I used a dairy free vegan cheese.  My recipe was so popular I won an opportunity to showcase it in the cafeteria at my work for the entire month.  I was told that each week it sold out, which is a fun thing to think about because most everyone at my hospital is an omnivore, as the hospital rarely has anything strictly plant-based for consumption.  So the idea that people would choose this dish as their meal over something that wasn't 100% plant based is interesting to say the least. 

What makes it so good is the combination of sweet and savory with the ripe plantains, seasoned beans.  Similar to a sensation we might experience with chilli and a sweet cornbread. Attached you will find the recipe.  If you make be sure to let me know how it turns out! 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:52:55 AM by letitiagoodjoint »

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Vegan Plantain Lasagna
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
That sounds delicious!  I had a roommate from Puerto Rico once and he made a similar recipe, it was out of this world!  Recipe attached.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
best live chat