forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Blood sugar and human growth hormone as related to muscle  (Read 417 times)

Offline punam858

• Alumni
Blood sugar and human growth hormone as related to muscle
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Hello,

My friend who is a personal trainer and I are in disagreement on the consumption of carbohydrates after a 1 hours HIT class or weight training session.  He urges his clients that are looking to build muscle or get toned to eat protein with carbohydrates in order to build muscle after a workout.  He uses muscle and fitness magazines as reference and says bodybuilders load on carbs. His suggests carbs to restore the glycogen stores, and is under the impression that without carbs the body will use up the muscles to make sure.

I disagree with him and suggest protein and fats instead. I make this suggestion with the assumption that a rise in blood sugar will stop the secretion of human growth hormone and therefore the body will not build the muscles necessary. From what I have researched, I came to the understanding that human growth hormone will not be secreted with a raise of  blood sugar:  Carbs raise blood sugar. but protein and fat don't very much.

As well, most people's glycogen stores lasts up to 12 hours and if they have consumed a meal or two that included carbohydrates, there glycogen levels are most probably fine. I am not sure how this theory works for someone on a ketogenic diet.

Any help?

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Blood sugar and human growth hormone as related to muscle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
I am currently doing HIIT Slow Motion and understand from my trainer, a BC grad, that the carbs restore the glycogen and the protein helps muscle recovery. Fat would slow down delivery of both.

The key here is the type of carbohydrate.  We can agree that unrefined carbs from whole food sources will do the best job, without causing an undue rise of blood glucose.
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Patricson

Re: Blood sugar and human growth hormone as related to muscle
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »
It all depends on the type of carbohydrates. Keeping carbohydrates (and therefore insulin) low, consuming a healthy dose of fat and a small amount of protein, you include protein synthesis, mobilize fat, increase ketogenesis and maximize the secretion of growth hormone throughout the morning and after dinner. It is important that you consume enough glucose along with your protein and fat; fructose will not do as it skips the glycolysis steps that actually cause the insulin reaction in the pancreas. Sweet potatoes, bananas and rice are your best friend.

Another very important part is training. Instead of spending two hours a day in the gym you would be better off working out for ten to twenty minutes one to two times a day. The body will work up a resistance to over-exercise that will prevent HGH secretion.
Here are the 3 best options for exercises that increase HGH levels:

Jog slowly or walk at a brisk pace for 90 seconds to 2 minutes and then sprint at high-intensity for 20 to 30 seconds repeat 4 to 8 times.
Jog in place or dance around the room for 90 seconds to 2 minutes and then run up and down stairs at high-intensity for 20 to 30 seconds repeat 4 to 8 times.
Bicycle at a slow pace for 2 minutes, then peddle as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds before slowing down for 90 seconds repeat 4 to 8 times total.
The goal is to get your heart rate up and be gasping for breath during the sprints and then bring it back down again during the rest period. Remember rest does not mean to stop moving you will just not be at high-intensity during that time. Individuals who are beginning an exercise regimen for the first time in a while should start out with only 4 repetitions.
More about exercises: https://hghinjections.us/hgh/exercise-to-increase-hgh-levels.html

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
anything