forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Conflicting Information & Trusted Nutrition Websites  (Read 384 times)

Offline katharinenelson

• Student
Conflicting Information & Trusted Nutrition Websites
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/embed/4xtnH0fxDUg

Hi, All!
    I saw this funny video from College Humor (link above - warning: foul language) titled "Health Science is BS".  It is a criticism of the constant conflicting information thrown at us about health foods. One minute coconut oil is a miracle product and the next minute it should be avoided at all costs. We are constantly barraged with new "superfoods", fad diets, and biased research. As a lover of all things health & nutrition related, it often gets frustrating trying to weed through all of the content online to find the most trustworthy and reliable information.
    I am curious how all of you deal with conflicting information online and in your studies? How do you find quiet in the chaos? Are there certain academic journals, websites, books, or professionals that you rely on to provide clarity in your search for wellness?

I hope to start an open discussion/ list of reliable sources here. Thanks for your input!

Offline paulaalexander

• Student
Re: Conflicting Information & Trusted Nutrition Websites
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:15:47 AM »
Katharine,
  I am interested in this question as well.  I really liked the college humor video.  I watched several of them!  I want to know how to pick a reliable site as well.  I think that nutrition information 'cherry picking' for information could be a real problem.  When following the science it would seem you have to follow the money.  I always question who funded the studies and that isn't always transparent. 
I like Nutritionfacts.org but I am a whole plant based eater.  How do I make sure that I pick information that isn't biased on my personal opinions and preferences also. 
Health is my greatest wealth!

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR