forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Raw Avocado Tomatillo Salsa  (Read 817 times)

Offline savannahlubomirski

• Student
Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Raw Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
This is one of my favorites. It's so satisfying and healthy! They reheat well in a pan the next day too, or you can make extra filling and assemble quesadillas when you'd like them. The salsa is aaaamazing, it's bright but the coconut amino acids rounds out the flavors really nicely.

Sweet Potato Quesadillas Vegan and Paleo Options – Makes four servings

2 large sweet potatoes

1 large sweet onion, sliced

1 tbs olive oil

1/3 c nutritional yeast

2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

1/2 tsp pepper

2 tbs lime juice (optional)

1 c cooked black beans (paleo friends use 1 c shredded organic, pasture raised chicken)

4 brown rice tortillas (paleo friends use coconut tortillas)

Raw Tomatillo Salsa – Makes roughly 10 oz.

6-7 tomatillos

1 avocado

1/2 c cilantro

1 jalapeño (or habanero if you want to go there)

2 tbs lime juice

2 cloves garlic

3 tbs coconut amino acids

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

For the quesadillas:

Wash sweet potatoes and make a few pricks in the skin to allow steam to escape while baking. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes on a cookie sheet. Meanwhile, sauté onions in olive oil over medium low heat for 10 minutes, until soft. Note: you can use coconut, ghee or avocado oil instead of olive if you prefer.

While sweet potatoes are baking, make your salsa (below)

Once sweet potatoes are cooked, peel off the skin and transfer potatoes to a medium bowl. (Side note: I snack on the skin – better not be wasting those vitamins.)

Mashed sweet potatoes with a fork and then add the onion, nutritional yeast, paprika, cayenne,  pepper, salt, lime and black beans or chicken. Stir to combine.

On a large pan over medium heat, add two tortillas. Add 1/4 of the filling to each, spreading it evenly across one half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half and warm for 4-5mins on each side. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining two quesadillas.

For the salsa:

Blend everything in a food processor. Bam. Done. Oh and you may be thinking – coconut amino acids in salsa? YES. This salsa uses raw tomatillos which makes it ultra bright. The coconut amino acids balances the flavors really nicely so I dare say its crucial. You need this salsa in your life.

Offline paulaalexander

• Student
Re: Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Raw Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:01 AM »
Savannah,  thank you  for  the  recipe. It looks good!  I  can't wait to try it!
Health is my greatest wealth!

Offline krisandersen

• Student
http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/basil-walnut-pesto/
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/basil-walnut-pesto/

Home
About us
Our Books!
Recipe Index
Our Apps!
Search
Instagram
Let’s be Facebook friends
Watch our youtube videos
Links
Subscribe
RSS
«
»
Basil
Basil & Walnut Pesto

Luise and I met in Rome in Italy. Each date we had i took her to a new restaurant, constantly trying to impress her. It turned out that no matter how expensive the restaurants were, all she wanted was the oh-so-simple Pasta Pesto.
A couple of months later we moved to Sweden and we haven’t (strangely enough) been eating very much pesto since then. Maybe because no one makes it like the Italians. But when our supermarket practically gave away flavory, organic Basil we began dreaming about the good-old-pesto-days again.
We used walnuts instead of pine nuts, they work just as well and Luise claims that they are even more nutritious.

Basil & Walnut pesto

Walnut Pesto

2 large handfuls of fresh basil
100 g walnuts
50 g parmesan
½ clove garlic
60 ml / 1/4 cup olive oil (or more if you’re Italian …)
salt and pepper

Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix them until it becomes smooth.
Serve it with pasta, on pizza or in a sandwich.

Offline Lila.Volkas

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Raw Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Yum looks so good! Can't wait to try it :)

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR