forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Apple Lentil Dal  (Read 632 times)

Offline kendalljutras

• Student
Apple Lentil Dal
« on: May 02, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
This is one of my favorite recipes from The China Study All-Star Collection
Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes From Your Favorite Vegan Chefs  Leanne Campbell, PhD  Foreword by T. Colin Campbell, PhD

3 1/2 C and 1 TBS Water, divided                        1-1 1/4  tsps sea salt
2 C chopped onion                                               2 C red lentils, rinsed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon                                    1 C chopped apple (peeling optional) (I chose a Red Delicious)
1/2-1 tsp cumin seeds                                           2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dry mustard                                              Crushed red pepper or hot sauce (optional)
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric

1. In a pot over medium-high heat, add 1 TBS water, onion, spices and salt.
2. Stir through, and cover, cooking for 4-5 minutes. Keep an eye on it; add another splash of water if spices and onion are sticking.
3. Remove cover and add lentils and water.
4. Turn heat up to high, and bring mixture to a boil. Once at a boil, decrease heat to low and cover, cooking for about 15 minutes.
5. After 12-15 minutes, add the apple and lemon juice, stir through, and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the apple has softened a little but isn't entirely mushy.
6. Taste, season with additional salt or lemon juice and crushed red pepper or hot sauce, if desired and serve!

I paired this with quinoa but it  also go great with brown short-grain or basmati rice or millet. When cooled, try spreading onto tortillas or collard leaves for wraps. 4

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR