forum sub header
alumni-sub-header

Author Topic: Breakfast Options for Gluten-Intolerant Vegan  (Read 23081 times)

Offline DevonC

• Alumni
Breakfast Options for Gluten-Intolerant Vegan
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
Hi there,

I have recently discovered that I have a severe gluten-intolerance (oats affect me as well) and have mostly been able to navigate with easy through most of my meals. I am also trying to go vegan.I find that when trying to find new and creative ideas for breakfast I find myself stumped. I know that there are many mixes for muffins, pancakes, etc. but was hoping that some of you could suggest some ideas for me? I currently make a power packed fruit smoothie made with fresh juice and hemp & rice protein, and usually follow that up with a Lydia's organic food bar and fruit. I was hoping that I might get some granola/cereal like recipes I can make ahead and keep for a while?

suggestions are most appreciated!
-Devon
When you run, there are no mistakes, only lessons

Offline Greg

• Alumni
    • GilletteNutrition
Re: Breakfast Options for Gluten-Intolerant Vegan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
Obviously you can cook rice, millet, quinoa or buckwheat and add fruit, protein powder, coconut oil, butter or nuts and seeds.
Try using the great avocado and combining it with a banana or berries and some nuts and seeds.
Avocados blend well in a blender with other fruit.
If you have a juicer, you can make coconut cream by placing the meat in the juicer. Not all juicers will work.

Greg
"Be the change you want to see in the world!" Ghandi
Nutrition Educator - Bauman College
Herbal Consultant - New Mexico College of Natural Healing
www.gillettenutrition.com

Offline LilyPad

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
Hi-
I have recently been trying out recipes using the ancient grain Amaranth.  Originally it was used by pre-colombian Aztecs, where they used it in tribal ceremonies as having supernatural powers.  The grain itself is high in fiber (15 g/ per 100 g), protein (14 g/ per 100 g), and polyunsaturated fat (6.5 g/ per 100g).   I also wanted to note that it contains the most lysine (an amino acid that is an effective agent against cancer) out of any grain, quinoa being a close second! 

Amaranth Pancakes

Delicious and grain free, these pancakes are sturdy enough to toast (in an oven or toaster oven) and make into sandwiches for lunch. For a real treat, try them with peanut butter or Peanut-Butter Spread.

Diet Types: gluten free, casein free, vegetarian
Makes 18- 4 pancakes

1 cup Nu-World Foods Amaranth flour
1/2 cup arrowroot
1/2 cup ground nuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons oil
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey

In a medium-mixing bowl, combine the flour, arrowroot, nuts, baking soda and cinnamon.

In a small bowl, mix the water, lemon juice, oil and maple syrup or honey. Stir liquid into flour mixture to combine well. The batter will be thin.

Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a pre-heated, ungreased non-stick griddle or frying pan. (The pancakes will be very thin.) When pancakes are bubbly on top and browned on bottom, turn and cook other side. As the batter stands, it may thicken; thin with a little water.

Variation: You can replace the lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon vitamin C crystals or 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. Mix it with the flour.

Note: If you want to use these pancakes as flatbreads, cool them on wire racks, then stack, wrap and refrigerate until needed. Warm in a toaster oven or on wire racks placed on cookie sheets in a moderate oven for a few minutes. Use to make mini-sandwiches.

Offline BethS

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »
I am a soy intolerant vegan:

For something quick and easy if you are in a rush (no-brainer):

I discovered a brand of bread (Pacific Bakery) that is healthy, only has three ingredients: 100% certified organic whole grain kamut, filtered water, and sea salt.  They also have it with other grains. (at Trader Joe's, and probably all large health food stores).
You can make a modified P,B, & J  using certified organic peanut butter, cashew butter, even sunflower seed butter (or make them yourself) with banana or blueberries or preserves.
(today I had avocado, tomato, basil, walnut sandwich on kamut bread for breakfast).

Offline BethS

• Alumni
Sorry, kamut probably not tolerated
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:59:04 PM »
While modified P,B & Js is still suggested, I just read on and realized kamut may be an ancient relative of wheat and is not tolerated by celiacs, and may not be tolerated by wheat-sensitive persons.  The post that talks about wheat-free breads has a bunch of suggestions in that arena.  Here is some info. on kamut

http://www.allergy-details.com/45-kamut-safe-wheat-free-or-gluten-free-diet

Offline KatieL

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:41:10 PM »
I don't eat wheat and for breakfast I got tired of finding substitutions for the typical american breakfast.  So I eat a lot of quinoa mixed with veggies and for extra protein I add in mung bean sprouts or other sprouted beans.  If I'm in a hurry I wrap it all up in a sheet of nori and take it to go.  I know you are trying to go vegan - but its also really good with eggs (fresh from the farmers market).  Good luck. 

Offline AmandaC

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
I am also vegan with a mild gluten sensitivity... so here's what I've got that hasn't been already mentioned :) Sweet potatoes are great for breakfast, I like to make a few on the weekend and keep them in the fridge. I am also a big fan of smoothies of course with protein powder, gluten free green powder and flax... yum! In fact I have them pretty much everyday. Coconut milk, nut butters, avocado and teas are interesting add ins to keep you from getting the boring smoothie blues and get great fats, minerals, etc. There are all kinds of adapted "classics" too when you get the craving for some Saturday pancakes or muffins.

Offline PamelaL

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »

Hello....I am a raw vegan so my options for breakfast are limited. I usually have a  fresh green smoothie [spinach, kale, romaine, chard, or any other other green]. I mix in 1 banana, berries, with a combination of other fruits [ papaya, kiwi, mango......]. Add filtered water and you have a beautiful delicious bright green smoothie! Much better than protein or green powders because you get all the fiber. With this I have a handful of nuts, seeds, and raisins. I find this very satisfying......PamelaL

Offline EmilyA

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:45:59 PM »
Hello,
I'm neither gluten-intolerant, nor vegan, but I find, that it's a great meal to get some extra veggies into the day's total count--especially with all the great winter squashes and sweet potatoes out now. 
The sweet-potato suggestion is an excellent one.  I recommend dicing up the sweet potatoes,after scrubbing them, oiling a pan down with organic extra-virgin, coconut oil and baking them at about 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so, until they are soft/crispy.  Sprinkle with a touch of sea salt--heaven! And very filling too.
Another idea I've tried is to cook a couple of acorn squashes (or really any winter squash would do) and store them in the fridge.  In the morning I scoop the meat out of the rind and heat it up on the stove with a little water.  Then sprinkle some nutmeg over the top for a different sort of warm breakfast "mush".  Then the sky's the limit with additions, nuts, ground flax, dried fruits, etc.

Good luck!

Offline Eva

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »
I don't benefit from a mainly carb breakfast.  I like a breakfasts like seaweed soup (with tofu if you like), or collards/kale etc. with beans. Chili is nice 'n' warming like a hot cereal. Amaranth was a great suggestion from above, and quinoa is also considered a high-protein grain.  The Red Inca quinoa is beautiful cooked up.

You can add rice protein to cream of buckwheat, which is considered gluten-free but some are sensitive maybe because of cross-contamination in the factory or other reasons I can't recall now.  Dinner for breakfast works for me. 
If you like bars, Organic Food Bar makes a soy-free rice protein bar with 22 grams of protein.  I'm pretty sure it's gluten-free, but check the label.  It is, though, high in sugar from agave and dates.
Good luck!
Eva Kirschner, NC

Offline NaomiZ

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
I've been experimenting and recently come up with this quick simple breakfast that I think is very tasty!   2Tbs flax
                            1 1/2Tbs pumpkin seeds
                            pecan bits
                            2 med. size dates chopped
                            almond milk
I grind up the flax in my coffee grinder fairly fine, than put in bowl.
I throw the pumpkin seeds in the grinder just for a sec. to chop 'em up a bit, add to bowl.
add chopped dates.
sprinkle on some pecan bits.
eat like cereal with almond milk.
A pinch of sea salt and a little agave can be good, but I find it pretty tasty just as is.
also the seeds/nuts can be switched up and any fresh or dried fruit can be added, I like it with bananas.
So you get a good dose of Omega3's and fiber from the flax, and the pumpkin seeds are good for some protein and iron. It all takes about 5-6 min. to throw together!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
This recipe- Sara's Power Breakfast Quinoa Cookies - posted in the forums sounds really good:
http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php?topic=1877.msg4724#msg4724
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline HeidiM

• Alumni
Vegan glutein free breakfast : scrambled tofu
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »
Since it is prefed to have protein before 10 a.m. tofu would be great option with easy to digest protein.
Let me know if you like some recipe ideas!

Other ideas are:
-corn pancakes, tofu whip and mashed strawberries
-fruit salad with coconut milk
-beans and fresh vegetables with fresh tomato-lemon-olive oil-salt base
-corn bread and fresh squeezed fruit/berry juice
-"Rice and Shine" (Arrowhead Mills) hot cereal with cinnamon and sugar
-potatos (left-over boiled) fried with onion and "tofu pups".
-fresh coconut carob pudding
-soy,corn or rice noodles fried with garlic.

SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
best live chat
anything