NATURAL CHEF CULINARY EXTERNSHIP
As part of the Natural Chef Training Program, students gain hands-on experience in a professional setting through our culinary externship requirement—working in venues such as restaurants, food production companies, resorts, corporate/residential dining facilities, nonprofit organizations, catering companies, and other food service programs.
This experience is a learning opportunity outside of the classroom that instills competency and confidence in the chef student while mutually benefiting individuals or organizations. It also facilitates community relationships and is an opportunity for students to make connections in the field while still in the program. It allows students to gain a variety of experiences to determine in which areas they would like to specialize. Externships can sometimes transition to job opportunities, providing skilled and trained natural chefs for employers.
CULINARY EXTERNSHIP GUIDELINES
- A minimum of 50 hours must be completed.
- Not all 50 hours have to be completed at the same location.
- Externships must be completed within six weeks after the final class date.
- Externships must be unpaid.
- Students must be working directly with food.
- Students must have an on-site supervisor to provide adequate feedback by filling out the student’s Culinary Externship Completion Form and Culinary Externship Evaluation Form.
- Students will be evaluated based on:
- Quality and quantity of work
- Use of time
- Basic knowledge in culinary skills and nutrition information
- Interpersonal relations/teamwork
- Dependability (punctuality/attendance)
REQUEST A CHEF EXTERN
To request a chef extern, please fill out this online form.
To inquire about the culinary externship, please send an email to Culinary Program Assistant, Cheyenne Wright, at firstname.lastname@example.org.