forum sub header

Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Nutrition and unpacking class privilege  (Read 50 times)

Offline karineponce

• Student
Nutrition and unpacking class privilege
« on: March 06, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »
My passion for health and environmental justice has grown over the past year, and I’ve struggled to talk about healthy foods and their potencial to do good because “health and wellness” has been soaked in aristocracy and class elitism. I refuse to go in that direction, the health industry shouldnt be exclusive in who can afford health. That needs to change but will only change if consumers bring it back down with humility and simplicity. Demand fresh food/water to be accessible to everyone, go to local farmers markets- help local farmers not large corporations, I hope to see them in all neighborhoods one day-not just wealthier ones. I would like to see water filters made more affordable, i.e. using inexpensive activated charcoal in water. Fresh food accessibility and knowledge needs to circumvent income and class. No more unilateral approaches that only benefits those who can afford it, “environmental justice advocates for urban gardens, clean water, considers those whose lives are made worse by environmental degradation and pollution and finds solutions to help both the people and their local ecosystems.”

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:00:55 PM by karineponce »

Offline Lila.Volkas

• Global Moderator
Re: Nutrition and unpacking class privilege
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing this article!